community watershed restoration since 1983

Fire and Fuels

FLASH (Fire Adapted Landscape and Safe Homes)

The FLASH program is for landowners that are interested in receiving a reimbursement for fuels reduction work completed by the landowner or hired crews on their land. If you would like to be included in the FLASH program, please email or call 707-629-3514, TDD/TTY: (800) 877-8339.  For more information, click here

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERARoadside Shaded Fuel Breaks

The MRC works with landowners to plan shaded fuel breaks along roadways and  around infrastructure in the Mattole Watershed.  If you are interested in either grant-funded or fee based fuel reduction, please contact us by emailing or calling 707-629-3514, TDD/TTY: (800) 877-8339.


Neighborhood and Landscape Fuels Reduction

The MRC works with private and public landowners to plan large-scale fuel breaks and community fire safety projects. If you have a potential project in your area, or would like to participate in a multi-landowner project, email or call 707-629-3514, TDD/TTY: (800) 877-8339.

Vegetation Management Plan

The Vegetation Management Program (VMP) is a cost-sharing program that focuses on the use of prescribed fire, and mechanical means, for addressing wildland fire fuel hazards and other resource management issues on State Responsibility Area (SRA) lands. VMP allows private landowners to enter into a contract with Cal Fire to use prescribed fire to accomplish a combination of fire protection and resource management goals. For more information, visit the Cal Fire website.

CFIP (California Forest Improvement Program)

CFIP projects are for forest landowners interested in improving the health and productivity of their forests on ownerships between 20 and 50,000 acres in the State. Cost-shared activities include management planning, site preparation, tree purchase and planting, timber stand improvement, fish and wildlife habitat improvement, and land conservation practices. Projects can also target the reduction of wildland vegetation hazards (or fuels). Each CFIP application has to have a management plan and a Registered Professional Forester (RPF). For more information, contact our Cal Fire Forest Advisor- Jason Butcher: 707-726-1258 or visit the Cal Fire CFIP page here.

Chipper Rentals

The MRC provides a chipper, truck, and two skilled chipper operators for $125/hr if in the greater Petrolia area, with a mileage charge starting at $1/mile beyond 10 miles, $2/mile for off-pavement and dump truck add $30/hr to haul chips away. If you are interested in receiving a quote for chipper work, contact Ali at or 707-629-3514, TDD/TTY: (800) 877-8339.


Related Files