- Good Roads, Clear Creeks
- Wild and Working Lands
- Youth Environmental Education
- Watershed Information Systems
- Community Resource Center
Native Ecosystem Restoration Volunteer Internships
Volunteer Position Duration: 10/01/2012 – 3/ 31/2013
Available Volunteer Positions: 4
The Mattole Restoration Council, a non-profit watershed restoration group, based in Petrolia, Humboldt Co., Calif. is offering a volunteer internship in native ecosystem restoration. This volunteer internship provides a unique opportunity to obtain hands on experience in the ecological restoration field and to specifically work with on the ground native plant restoration projects. Volunteers will primarily work with the MRC’s Native Ecosystem Restoration Program working on field projects including monitoring, seed collection, native plant propagation, re-vegetation, invasive plant removal, and Sudden Oak Death monitoring. On occasion, interns will also work on turbidity monitoring projects and GIS projects. A small portion of the internship includes community service projects.
- An interest in ecological restoration
- Commitment to 30 – 40 hours per week for 6 months with time off for holidays
- Ability to work in steep terrain in inclement weather. Most of the work will be conducted in remote settings during the winter in which long rainy days are the norm
- Ability to carry 60lbs. for extended periods of time
- Willingness to live in a remote area with limited amenities
- A reliable vehicle and a valid driver’s license
- Reliable work boots and rain gear
Other desirable qualifications: Experience with Microsoft Word, Access, Excel and Geographic Information Systems; Bachelors degree or some course work in ecology, botany, environmental science or related field experience.
Preference will be given to Humboldt County residents and HSU students.
Volunteers will receive a food and living stipend of $500/month, plus a per diem of $25/day when camping, and mileage reimbursement for personnel vehicle use.
Housing is provided. Interns will be stay in shared housing with other volunteers in Petrolia CA.
Position is based in Petrolia CA, with travel throughout the Mattole watershed.
Email letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 15, 2012.
More info? www.mattole.org, or call Hugh at 707-629-3514.